The Broward County League of Cities is pleased to announce the 2018 Scholarship Program to promote and provide financial assistance to those pursuing areas of study that benefit municipal government professionalism. Originally chartered in 1957, The Broward League of Cities is a non-partisan, non-profit membership organization, welcoming representation from all of Browardâ€™s 31 municipalities. Members work together to promote awareness of municipal services, concerns and accomplishments. Supporting the educational endeavors of students who plan to seek a career in municipal government is aligned with the Leagueâ€™s belief that by working together on common goals, municipalities can be more successful in resolving the issues affecting the welfare of Broward County residents at the local, state and federal levels, particularly in challenging times.
Complete applications must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 PM on February 16, 2018.
To download a printer-friendly version of the scholarship cover letter and criteria, click here.
To download a printer-friendly version of the scholarship application, click here.
Incomplete applications will not be forwarded for consideration.
February 16, 2018â€¦â€¦……..Deadline for receipt of applications
April 7, 2018â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦..Interviews and selection
April 19, 2018â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦…..Awards Dinner Recognition of Recipients
Scholarship recipients and two guests will be invited to attend the Broward League of Cities General Membership Meeting on April 19, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. for the awarding of scholarships.
Policies and Procedures
The Broward County League of Cities and its contributing Associate Members annually sponsor four (4) individual $1,000 scholarships for expenses associated with academic endeavors at a college or university for students studying public administration, political science, or a government related field. The name of the scholarship is the Broward County League of Cities Scholarship for Government Studies. It is not transferable.
- To be eligible for this scholarship, a student must:
- Be a 2018 graduating senior in a Broward County high school, and a permanent resident of Broward County;
- Be pursuing a major in public administration, political science, or a government related field at any accredited college or university in the United States; and
- Have a minimum cumulative unweighted grade point average of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale), verified by a school transcript.
- Preferential consideration will be given to students who demonstrate:
– Dedicated pursuit towards a career in public administration, political science, or a government related field.
– Involvement in work, volunteer service, or internships in public, government, community, and/or legislative environments.
– Familiarity of programs & mission of the Broward League of Cities.
- The applicant must demonstrate strong communication and leadership skills and show maturity in judgment and purpose.
- Applicant must provide completed application including:
– One (1) essay and one (1) personal statement (as outlined on Scholarship Application form).
– Two (2) written letters of recommendation from a high school staff member, i.e., counselor, teacher, coach, or administrator, or from a member of the community who is familiar with the applicantâ€™s character.
- A transcript must be submitted with application or prior to application deadline.
- Applicant MUST be available on the date of the interview to be considered for the scholarship.
Scholarship Award Selection Process
The Leagueâ€™s Youth Leadership Committee is comprised of local elected officials along with local business leaders. The Committee reviews all submitted (complete) applications. Semi-finalists selected after the first qualifying round will be contacted by email to arrange for a personal interview by the Committee. Upon completion of the interviews, the Committee makes the final selection. The selection and awarding of scholarships is entirely at the discretion of the Committee, and their decision is final.
__Completed Application Form (Signed and Dated)
__One Personal Statement
__Two Letters of Recommendation
For more information, please contact the League Office.