Broward County, FL (June 6, 2022) – On June 18, 2022, the Broward League of Cities recognized 12 municipal officials from Broward County with the 2022 Home Rule Hero Award for their continued support and advocacy for their local communities during the 2022 Legislative Session.
“As our community leaders have worked to rebound from COVID-19, they’ve truly embraced the needs of their communities and advocated for positive change,” said Bob Mayersohn, President of Broward League of Cities. “Following this year’s Legislative Session, I encourage all of Broward’s community stakeholders to continue to support our elected officials so we can strengthen Home Rule and better support our local community’s needs.”
Home Rule is the ability for a city to address local problems with local solutions with minimal state interference. Home Rule Hero Award recipients are local government officials, both elected and nonelected, who consistently responded to the League’s request to reach out to members of the legislature and help give a local perspective on an issue.
“On behalf of the League and its legislative team, we’re very proud to present this year’s Home Rule Hero Awards to a deserving group of municipal leaders,” said FLC Director of Legislative Affairs Casey Cook. “We had a record number of Home Rule Heroes this year, which shows the dedication and impact of local officials on behalf of their residents and businesses in protecting local decision-making.”
The 2022 Home Rule Hero Award recipients from Broward County are:
- Commissioner Traci Callari, City of Hollywood
- Commissioner Joy Carter, City of Coral Springs
- Councilwoman Denise Horland, City of Plantation
- Commissioner Sabrina Javellana, City of Hallandale Beach
- Commissioner Bob Mayersohn, City of Parkland
- Commissioner Heather Moraitis, City of Fort Lauderdale
- Mayor Frank Ortis, City of Pembroke Pines
- Mayor Greg Ross, City of Cooper City
- William “Mac” Serda, Town Manager, Town of Hillsboro Beach
- Vice Mayor Joshua Simmons, City of Coral Springs
- Councilwoman Susan Starkey, Town of Davie
- Commissioner Beverly Williams, City of Lauderdale Lakes
For more information on FLC’s Home Rule Hero Awards and to see the full list of 2022 recipients, click here.